Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do I change the spark plugs on my 98 Windstar?

98 Windstar 3.0L V6 (12 valve Vulcan). I need to know how to change the spark plugs. The front 3 are easy to get out but how do I get at the back ones/ Also I'm changing the wires, any help would be great.How do I change the spark plugs on my 98 Windstar?
You need to pull the intake cover off, but don't undo the fuel rails. Get all the hoses secured out of the way. You should be able to reach the plugs that way, but you won't be able to see 2 of them. Use a mirror, a good light, and an offset pivoting head ratchet and 16mm deep socket. If there is visible debris around the plugs, blow it off before starting, and give the plugs a good spray of penetrating oil an hour before starting to remove them. Be extremely careful, because in the awkward position you'll be in, it's easy to break an old plug (not a devastating situation, but a pain just the same), or you could cross thread a new plug and strip the threads in the head ( a terribly devastating and expensive situation).How do I change the spark plugs on my 98 Windstar?
never worked on a winstar. you might try getting to them from under the car, there's more clearance there sometimes, other than that just squeeze back there and pull them. Definitely change the wires ONE AT A TIME, this way your sure to get them in the right firing order. so change a plug then the wire that goes with it. not all at the same time. good luck
i think it would be helpful to take off the intake manifold
Remove the front wheels and go into the fender well. You will need to remove the cover and you can see the spark plugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment