Friday, November 19, 2010

How best to change all 8 spark plugs in an 1989 Ford Ranger?

I am trying to change the plugs in my pick-up and I want it done right. I am wondering if it is possible to get the drivers side plugs changed without pulling the upper intake. and if so...how?How best to change all 8 spark plugs in an 1989 Ford Ranger?
If this is the infamous 2.3 - 4 cylinder with 8 plugs - it's not the driver's side plugs that are a pain in the butt, it's the passenger side plugs.

This concept, in my opinion, was a Ford engineering brain fart.

It is possible to charge all 8 plugs without removing any major components, but you'll learn a whole new vocabulary doing it.How best to change all 8 spark plugs in an 1989 Ford Ranger?
You are going to love this job. I bought my Ranger brand new in 1989, having heard about the new dual plug ignition. Ford wasn't the only automaker coming out with this feature, supposedly to improve emissions and increase power and efficiency. I thought it sounded cool, until I had to change the spark plugs the first time. I still own this truck. It's still my daily driver. In fact, I need to replace the plugs again, but I've been procrastinating.

I always change the plug wires at the same time. You will not be able to grab the boot on some of them. On those wires, I just grab the wire and pull. If the metal terminal remains on the plug, I use needlenose pliers to reach in and remove it. This is why I replace the wires at the same time. For the plugs on the drivers side, you will have to remove the EGR position sensor from the EGR valve. Be careful not to lose screws.

I use black electrical tape to tape together two socket extensions with a universal joint on the end and then tape the socket to the joint. I tape around the joint, so it has some movement, but not too much. Then I'm able to reach between the runners of the intake manifold to replace the spark plugs. You may need to unplug one or more fuel injectors as you go. Just do it carefully and you should be OK. The plugs on the passenger side don't require both extensions or the u-joint, but they can be a pain, also. You will need to have patience. This job usually takes me about two hours.
i think the best way to change these spark plugs one at a time. Probably the easiest way. Get a good small wrench to put your spark plug driver on and just work it and work it and work it and work it until you can get in there enough to get them out. Good luck, and make sure your engine is cool or you'll ruin the threads...

No comments:

Post a Comment